Ramakrishnan Murthy is one of the most popular young Carnatic musicians today. He started his early vocal Carnatic Music lessons in 1997 with Smt. Padma Kutty of Irvine, CA, USA. Since 2001, for the past 14 years, he has been undergoing advanced training from Vidwan Sri. Delhi P. Sunderrajan. He was fortunate to learn briefly, at different times, from senior vidwans Late Vairamangalam Sri. Lakshminarayanan and Late Chengalpet Sri. Ranganathan. Ramakrishnan has also learned several kritis from C. R. Vaidyanathan (student of Vidwan P. S. Narayanaswami) and Vaikom T. V. Jayachandran (student of Vidwan T. M. Thyagarajan). Currently, he continues under Sri. Sunderrajan and also takes guidance from Vidwan R. K. Shriramkumar.
- Yuva Kala Bharati from Bharat Kalachar, Chennai, 2014.
- Kalki Krishnamurthy memorial award from Kalki Krishnamurthy Trust, 2014.
- Outstanding Vocalist from Music Academy for 4 years consecutively, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Shanmukha Sangeetha Shironmani title from Shanmukhananda Fine Arts and Sangeetha Sabha, Mumbai 2013.
- Dr. M. L. Vasanthakumari Memorial award from Sri. Parthasarathy Swami Sabha, Chennai, 2013.
- Outstanding Musician of the year from Sringeri Vidya Bharati Foundation, Stroudsburg, USA, 2013.
- Chitra Narayanaswami endowment prize from Brahma Gana Sabha for most promising vocalist season 2012.
- Best Vocalist for season 2010, from Sri Tyaga Brahma Gana Sabha, Chennai, 2010.
- First Prize winner, All India Radio National Competition for Carnatic Vocal, 2009.
- Sangeetha Shri title from Rasika Ranjani Sabha, Trichy, 2009.
- Spirit of Youth prize from Music Academy, 2008.
- First Prize winner, All India Radio National Competition for Carnatic Devotional, 2007.
- Musiri Subramania Iyer endowment for best concert and Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer endowment for best alapana from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, 2006.
- Special Bhavam Prize from Kalki Magazine, Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana Festival, 2003.
Ramakrishnan, an A-grade artist at the All India Radio and Doordarshan, Chennai has performed widely in India, North America, Middle East, and Far East, and has had the rare privilege of being accompanied in concerts by most all of the stalwarts of the present day. He is a Computer Science graduate of the University of California, Irvine.